Minerals are known to be difficult materials when it comes to their necessary absorption in our digestive system.
So, what can we do in order to achieve high bioavailability of minerals in the circulatory system, while avoiding the typical side effects that are identified with these minerals and supplements?
The bio-process and technology of producing uniquely high absorbance supplements such as Bisglycinate Iron, or Bisglycinate Magnesium, relies on a global patent by Albion company, named: TRAACS – The Real Amino Acid Chelate System (Patent # US 7,838,042 B2)
Albion is a research and science company founded in 1956 and has since led hundreds of clinical studies on its patented products, based on unique compounds of minerals related to amino acids, while using the TRAACS technology to increase their absorption and bioavailability.
Albion is the first company to successfully synthesize minerals (such as magnesium, iron, etc.) and the amino acid glycine, as demonstrated by a unique patented FT-IR method to verify the formation of chemical bonds between mineral molecules and amino acids. The process of chelate created a compound with a tiny molecular structure that improves and empowers the body’s ability to absorb these minerals efficiently, as demonstrated by research.
The unique process of binding the minerals to amino acids requires controlled production processes, strict manufacturing conditions and the most innovative manufacturing facilities in the field.
Each mineral has a unique manufacturing process adapted for it.
As a result, Albion has more than 100 registered patents on a wide range of products based on TRAACS binding technology that bind minerals to amino acids.
Albion has become the world’s leading manufacturer of minerals as nutritional supplements, thanks to the advanced patented technology which produces among the highest quality mineral products available.
The technology has succeeded in creating an organic molecule that the body can effectively assimilate and use to provide various biological and health benefits.
The formation criteria of these compounds must be subject to production restrictions:
- The weight of the molecule must be less than 800 Dalton (a unit of an atomic mass unit).
- The electrical charge of the molecule must be neutral.
- The molecule must stay stable to prevent a chemical reaction in the digestive system.
- The compound must be bioavailable
Albion TRAACS method meets all these criteria and provides mineral compounds and amino acids with significant advantages such as:
- High bioavailability (due to high absorption of active substances through the bowel barrier to the bloodstream).
- The compounds are easy to digest and do not cause side effects and irritate the digestive system.
- The compounds do not interact with other foods that prevent mineral absorption.
- The compounds are made from 100% essential nutrients to the body.
Studies comparing various mineral supplements have shown that glycine chelated based supplements are more bioavailable compared to other mineral supplements available.
For example, a clinical study comparing the bioavailability of magnesium bisglycinate supplementation with magnesium citrate supplement found that magnesium bisglycinate had higher bioavailability than magnesium citrate, plus, the supplement absorption was in different areas of the gastrointestinal tract.
In a different study comparing the bioavailability of zinc bisglycinate with zinc gluconate also concludes that zinc bisglycinate (based on the binding amino acid & glycine) bioavailability is higher than zinc gluconate significantly.
In addition, various studies have shown that Albion’s amino-mineral compounds don’t cause side effects as other mineral compounds available.
Minerals such as iron and magnesium are known to cause problems and discomfort in the digestive tract, constipation or diarrhea, and even nausea, vomiting, increased acidity in the digestive system.
TRAACS method absorption level is clearly high but the commonly asked question is it safe?
Safety tests for the iron compound combined with the albino amino acids are confirmed safety for short and long term use.
The following studies covered that subject:
- The opinion of the Scientific Panel on Food Additives, Flavourings, Processing Aids, in Contact with Foods Related to Ferrous Bisglycinate as a source of Iron for Use in the Manufacturing of Foods and in Food Supplement.
- Toxicology and safety of Ferrochel and other iron amino acid chelates.
The TRAACS method most important challenge is the ability to provide significant health benefits for its users, which is the reason consumers choose to use supplements in the first place.
The TRAACS production method for amino acids & mineral based compounds may give additional physiological benefits for those who use the supplements, such as improving athletic performance as demonstrated in various studies.
TRAACS production method has created very high bioavailability, fast and easy digestion in the digestive system.
This technology enables the creation of products suitable for people suffering from absorption difficulties such as elders, people suffering from gastrointestinal diseases, or people who underwent gastrointestinal procedures such as surgery to remove parts of the intestines, and do not cause side effects such as gas, constipation, Abdominal pain.
For instance, a clinical study compared the biological availability of magnesium bisglycinate to magnesium oxide in patients with intestinal resection.
The study concludes that the absorption of magnesium bisglycinate was more efficient.
Albion’s mineral products are:
- Easy to digest and absorb effectively in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Soluble and stable in an acidic environment (such as in the stomach).
- Hypoallergenic, gluten-free, vegan, genetically modified, free of animal components (BSE free).
- Approved configurations from the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).